Wine Tasting - J. Lohr Pure Paso


Name:
J. Lohr Pure Paso Proprietary Red Wine
Varietal: Red Blend = 64% Cabernet Sauvignon, 28% Petite Sirah, 5% Petit Verdot, 2% Malbec, 1% Merlot
Country: United States
Region: Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo County, California
Year: 2020
Price: $27 (a gift from family!)

Wine Critic Review: 
"This regionally respectful blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Petite Sirah is satisfyingly rich and hedonistically attractive on all fronts. Smoke-kissed aromas of black cherry, purple flower and light cola on the nose lead into a palate that is full of ripe black cherry and cola flavors, yet with a firm structure." - Matt Kettmann from Wine Enthusiast         

Wine Folly References: California's Cabernet Sauvignons mainly come from the North Coast, specifically Sonoma and the Napa Valley. They're known for rich black fruit flavors that bring about full tannins and underlying cedar and tobacco notes. California is also known for Petite Sirah, which mainly exists in warmer valleys and produces more rich, black fruit flavors with notes of cocoa and black pepper. These two varietals are the most prominent in this red blend. 

My Review: I really enjoyed this blend, after becoming familiar with it and all its components. It had a darker red, nearly purple look to it, and it smelled of exactly what I'd expect -- a lot of dark fruit, especially cherry, so I was prepared for a sweet flavor upon tasting. The smell was very fulfilling and definitely added a lot of depth to the taste itself with time and attention. My initial taste, however, was kind of underwhelming. I got a lot of what I figured I would in the dark fruit realm, with cherry being the leading flavor, but not much more. It had a very lightweight body to it that was easy to palate, a smooth finish, and a decent tannic structure that didn't leave me feeling the usual punch that a full-on Cab Sauv would (yay for blends!). The other flavors and components came about with time and intentional "chewing" -- with that, I recognized some lighter, brighter raspberry flavors, but also some cocoa and caramel hints, which added a lot of depth. Once I became aware of those layers, sipping was a lot more enjoyable!

With food? -- No, I did not pair this wine with food. 











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wine Tasting - Josh Pinot Noir